(Carmel Valley/La Jolla)
Position: Educational Coach
Hours: Part-time between 2:30-8:30pm weekdays and at least one weekend day 9:00am-6:00pm
Compensation: $18-25/hr. depending on qualifications & experience
Location: Carmel Valley (off Del Mar Heights Rd.) & La Jolla (Herschel Ave.)
La Jolla LearningWorks is a private one-to-one learning center with locations in La Jolla, Carmel Valley, and Mission Valley. We provide individualized tutoring, test preparation, and educational therapy services for K-12 and college students. We carefully select and train talented, passionate, caring educators to help our students maximize their potential for academic success and happiness. With our personal attention, our students overcome learning challenges with newfound confidence and a love of learning.
We are looking for fun, engaging, and experienced educators to help our students reach their fullest potential in academic achievement! Our ideal candidate has experience helping students overcome academic challenges related to learning disabilities and ADHD. The right person for our company communicates with confidence and compassion, inspiring a love of learning in students and collaborating effectively with parents and classroom teachers. You will have outstanding oral and written language skills and are well versed in terms like, “dyslexia” and “executive functioning.” You are a regular note-taker and understand the importance of record keeping to track student progress. You are someone others look up to and admire how you handle a full life with such grace. You care about health and fitness, pursue your passions, and appreciate nature and just being silly – because there is a whole lot more to life than work.
Responsibilities and Desired Outcomes:
- Training: Complete required trainings, including reading and studying program materials
- Preparation: Review individualized student Learning Plans and prepare lesson plans that meet desired objectives for growth
- Instruction: Effectively implement research-based methods for improving reading, writing, math, and study skills for students with learning differences
- Record – Keeping: Document session notes and write session reports to communicate feedback on student performance to parents and supervisors
- Professional Development / Collaboration: Participate in company meetings and training sessions to continually build professional expertise and address challenges on a case-by-case basis
- B.A./M.Ed. in Liberal Studies/Special Education – Mild/Moderate; 2-years minimum experience teaching/tutoring individuals with learning disabilities
- Experience with Orton-Gillingham or other structured language instruction for reading and writing, executive functioning support, and/or mathematics intervention
- Experience with standardized test preparation – and a willingness to learn new approaches!
- A keen interest in learning new methodologies and ability to quickly learn and implement new instructional methods
- Honesty and integrity to earn and maintain trusting relationships and uphold professional ethics
- Confidence and ability to inspire others with your love of learning
- Ability to build rapport and effectively collaborate with others
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Strong listening and interpersonal skills
- Team-player and can effectively collaborate with others
- Ability to maintain a consistent schedule from August – June within established working hours (2:30-8:30pm weekdays and at least one weekend day 9:00am-6:00pm)