Position: Assistant Director
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm
Compensation: $47,000-52,000/year; two-weeks paid vacation and one-week sick leave
Here we grow again!
Make 2017 your best year yet! We’re looking for a new member to join our awesome team and help our business grow. If you’re looking for an exciting opportunity to be a part of a creative, collaborative team that values your ideas and a place where you can see the positive impact you make on our smiling students’ faces, then this just might be the job for you!
La Jolla LearningWorks is a one-on-one learning center with locations in La Jolla, Carmel Valley, and Mission Valley. We provide tutoring, test preparation, and educational therapy services to meet the individual needs of K-12 students looking to maximize their potential for academic success. We carefully select and train talented, passionate, caring educators to help our students reach their goals for growth and discover success in school – and life. With the personal attention we provide, our students overcome learning challenges with newfound confidence and a love of learning.
Our Assistant Director’s mission is to grow LJLW’s student body while maintaining the heart of our culture. By having a background in special education, you will effectively guide prospective clients in customizing academic programs to meet their child’s unique needs. The Assistant Director is also responsible for staff selection, training, and development. This position weaves knowledge and understanding of student learning differences, interpretation of standardized educational testing and results, and empathetic listening to ensure that our operations are smooth sailing in order to accomplish what we set out to do: achieve inspiring results for each and every student.
- Conduct prospective client sales meetings to build trust and explain the solutions LJLW provides for the problems they face.
- Hire and train ‘A Player’ instructors to deliver outstanding instruction to meet each student’s learning plan goals.
- Plan and deliver professional development opportunities for the LJLW instructional staff.
- Oversee individualized academic skills assessments based on student areas of need and conduct conferences with parents to review results.
- Write Individualized Learning Plans for each student with clear objectives for instruction based on student learning differences, parent concerns, and long-term family goals.
- Monitor and ensure positive outcomes and clear communication on student progress between instructors, parents, and outside supporting professionals.
- Provide consulting support to families on public school IEP support and private school placement.
- Serve as learning center leader in setting a tone of professionalism and providing input on the betterment of our learning center.
- Oversee plans for habits and rituals to bring LJLW’s culture alive with a center environment and vision that is in line with LJLW’s core values.
- M.Ed. in Education, with an emphasis on special education or literacy development; certificate in Educational Therapy (must be completed within first year of hiring)
- Thorough & current understanding of learning differences, such as dyslexia, auditory & visual processing, and ADHD
- 2+ years’ experience working in a school or other educational environment supporting students with language-based learning disabilities
- Personable and passionate about individualized education — must love teaching!
- Ability to understand and synthesize standardized educational testing and write clear, individualized learning goals
- Outstanding oral and written communication
- Empathetic listening skills
- Sense of urgency with regard to time-sensitive tasks
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Strategic thinking/visioning and creativity/innovation
- High standards for performance and desire to continually improve
- Proficient with technology, online applications, MS Office and Google apps.
- An upbeat, fun, and curious attitude is a must for this position.